Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Blogs

Today, I'd like to talk about my favorite writing blogs on the web, and I'm going to start with my very, very favorite.

Author Author
Anne Mini is a manuscript doctor who currently resides in Seattle, Washington. She is a frequent panelist at writers' conventions, and her acquaintance with the publishing industry is life long. Her mother is a writer. Her mother's ex-husband is Phillip K. Dick. She made an impression me for several reasons, the most important being her advice NOT to simply take her advice.

Anne Mini doesn't skim the web, glean information, and repost a so-called submission manual.  She is sourcing her information based on her own experience with writers, agents, editors, and publishers. She doesn't stop at telling you how the industry works. She tell you why.  She posts series several times a year on different aspects of the submission process. This past summer, she spent a few weeks on various verbal pitches. Her blog archive goes back years. Her right margin is an outline of topics from the first page of your book through questions you should ask an agent when you get "the call." If you can't find what you're looking for, you can post a question on her most recent post and she's happy to answer.

I asked her a question about how a certain number in my manuscript should be presented. She told me I should leave it in digits. She told me why the screener would like as digits. And she suggested that I remove a sentence in the sample I gave her, because it tells information I was already showing.

If you're a writer hoping to be published at some point in the future, get acquainted with Anne Mini.

Kristine Kathryn Rusch
Kristine is a prolific author who has published novels in four genres, under her own name plus three aliases. She is traditionally published. She's self-published. She has experience on both sides of the writer's contract. Recently, she has been blogging about the merits of publishing, going so far as to write a freelancer's manual.

The Funnily Enough
I became acquainted with "mooderino" on Authonomy and was entertained by his work. Recently, after joining Twitter, I've discovered that he's posted some great information on writing. So, bookmark his blog and follow him on Twitter.

Science Fiction Writers of America: Writer Beware
This site needs to be in your bookmarks, whether you write science fiction or not, if only for their "Writer's Beware" section. If there is information about predatory practices in the publishing industry, particularly with the explosion of small presses on the internet, they're probably tracking it.

Written Words
This blog is maintained by Scott Bury. It is part self-promotion, part-promotion for other writers, and he periodically posts tips about things aspiring writers may find useful.

I'll plug more blogs in the future. For the moment, I have a 3-year-old that wants me to play football. He's watching me type this sentence with great interest, waiting one second in between asking, "Now you're ready, mom?...And now you're ready?" So, I'll see you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment