Sunday, May 6, 2012

#SixSunday - Circle of the Butterfly #1

Sadly, I have no more sixes to share from Virgo. I'll get right on fixing that, but for the meantime, I've blown the dust off Circle of the Butterfly. This six part of a lengthy prologue (please don't shoot me. I wrote this thirteen years ago before I knew when and how to use a prologue.)

Circle is a two-volume, 210k word, fantasy epic with several interwoven stories that are impacted by the destiny/fate of twin girls...one who is murdered at the age of five, the other who spends ten years of her life seeking revenge on the men who killed her sister. One of those men, and the primary object of Jiadexin's rage, is Anyakar in the scene below. Liasneh, Anyakar's master, ordered the hit.



Liasneh pulled Anyakar’s sword from his belt as she made her way back around the coffin-like box she had brought. As Colette drew a sharp breath, her dedicated knights entered the throne room, swords drawn, to form a sentry line before her and her oracle sisters. A single sweet clang of metal on stone rang out as all ten points hit the stone floor at once.

Holding her sergeant's heavy blade carelessly out to the side as if it were a child’s toy, Liasneh grinned and taunted, "This isn’t for them!”

“Sit,” Colette said. Her guardians dropped to their knees and sat upon their heels.



Please check out the other authors at Six Sentence Sunday. Some of my favorites are Sarah BallanceKrystal WadeMonica Enderle PierceSiobhan MuirSarah W.Pippa Jay, Kelly Seguin, and Steven Montano.

Writers! Participation in SSS is straightforward. Submit a link to the host site between 6:00 pm Tuesday and 11:59 pm on Saturday. Post a six sentence excerpt on your blog by 9 am Eastern (US) on Sunday.

25 comments:

  1. Interesting! This could go either way, though Colette seems a bit nervous . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me wonder what is in the box. Intriguing six.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's in the box is actually the point of the whole chapter. The book somewhat too. :)

      Delete
  3. Already like Colette's character! Great six! Hey, I'm also originally from SW Louisiana! Geaux writers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intriguing peek at the story! I love this line: A single sweet clang of metal on stone rang out as all ten points hit the stone floor at once. It tells me there's a lot of order, respect, and/or fear in that room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All three actually. A lot. Thanks Sarah.

      Delete
  5. Nice Six, Wendy! I especially liked the line "A single sweet clang of metal on stone rang out as all ten points hit the stone floor at once." That line really sucked me in. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Christine, your imagery is fantastic, and I enjoy your character names. I'm intrigued, looking forward to getting to know more of your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, great imagery you've crafted here. I especially loved this line as it not only denoted sound, but a definite motion: " A single sweet clang of metal on stone rang out as all ten points hit the stone floor at once. "

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I just echo everyone else. The single sound froma ll the sword points hitting the floor at the same time is brilliant, and shows the incredible discipline the guardians have. Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lotsa tension and intrigue in these six, Wendy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm worried about that coffin-like box. Is it empty? Who's it intended for?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Intriguing six, Wendy! I love the tension and description.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting, a LOT there to think about and the scene was dramatic. Terrific six!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A single sweet clang of metal on stone... Love this! Great six Wendy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the sound! This is amazing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, everyone for commenting today. I'm SO GLAD you liked that detail with the swords. In the story, there is a tradition among the warriors that serve Colette's kingdom...a sort of mash-up between the Knights Templar and the Jedi. Holy warriors, sacred vows, a life of training with pop quizes to ascertain continued worthiness, deadly challenges...months, even years of monotony and boredom.

    Colette's guardians were hand picked from the ranks of that tradition...hence the discipline.

    Thank you, everyone, for commenting today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ouch, sore knees! Lovely visual six.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can hear the challenge in that six. :)

    ReplyDelete