Thursday, March 22, 2012

Evolution Thursday: Rebecca Hamilton

Rebecca Hamilton writes Paranormal Fantasy, Horror, and Literary Fiction. She lives in Florida with her husband and three kids, along with multiple writing personalities that range from morbid to literary. She enjoys dancing with her kids to television show theme songs and would love the beach if it weren’t for the sand. Having a child diagnosed with autism has inspired her to illuminate the world through the eyes of characters who see things differently.

To learn more about Autism Spectrum Disorder, please visit the website below.

http://www.autisticadvocacy.org

You can stalk her blog, follow her on Twitter and Like her on Facebook.

Rebecca, what gave you the idea for The Forever Girl?

I wanted to write a book and I had this idea about a Wiccan girl who would perform a ritual to get rid of her curse. I also knew that she might have to kill her lover in order to save him. I guess I expected it to be more paranormal romance when I started, but instead it's more paranormal fantasy with some romance in it. And the big "problem" ended up being bumped into book 4 of the series instead because one of the side characters took over my general plot idea.

Do you recall the first scene you wrote?

A scene with Sophia and her three friends in the wood performing a Wiccan ritual. It was the opening scene initially. There was also a seance in several early drafts of the book. It was a bit "Now and Then" meets "The Craft". Boy, how things have changed since then. I almost miss those early drafts.

Did you have a scene that you loved but ended up cutting?

See above! There was also a scene with Sophia and her Dad discussing her ancestry and the document Sophia found in the attic. I loved that scene and I miss it tons.

I usually have an a-ha moment, where an insignificant detail becomes something really important. Did you have a moment like that? Will it spoil the plot to tell me what it was?

For me the detail was character who had a secret I wasn't expecting that entirely changed the direction of the novel.

Are you surprised where the story took you? Or if ended up where you planned, were you surprised how you got there?

I'm extremely surprised. The original story was nothing like the final product. And the version of the story now is nothing like the first draft. Truth be told, the first draft of this novel was almost entirely a different story.

What story idea is sitting in the class right now, raising his hand madly, begging you to call on him?

Book 2. I am most excited about book 2 and every day new little details pop in my mind, demanding I hurry up and finish and make use of all the great ideas being given to me. But I have to finish the project I'm working on now. Also, in my heart, there are a couple literary fiction novels that want me to return to them. And in my email box, there a few people demanding I finish the disgusting horror novel I started last year, but I think it's too gross to sell, so I haven't been able to finish it.


I would like to thank Rebecca for being Evolution Thursday's very first guest. Please check out the trailer and blurb for The Forever Girl.



Solving the mystery of an ancestor’s hanging might silence the clashing whispers in Sophia's mind, but the cult in her town and the supernaturals who secretly reside there are determined to silence her first.

As Sophia unknowingly crosses the line into an elemental world full of vampire-like creatures, shapeshifters, and supernatural grim reapers, she meets Charles, a man who becomes both lover and ally.

But can she trust him?

It’s not until someone nearly kills Sophia that she realizes the only way to unveil the source of her family's curse: abandon her faith or abandon her humanity. If she wants to survive, she must accept who she is, perform dark magic, and fight to the death for her freedom.


The Forever Girl is available just about anywhere you can buy a book.

Next week, I'll have Krystal Wade's answers for Wilde's Fire.

2 comments:

  1. Wendy, Thanks for bringing us this little interview with Rebecca Hamilton. Rebecca, I so got-to-read this book now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete