Saturday, January 15, 2011

Bombs Away!

Today, I clicked submit and sent my baby away to Samhain Publishing and Ellora's Cave. Last year, Samhain rightly rejected my submission for 'Circle of the Butterfly'. After a little research, I realize that I did NOTHING right on that submission. (Insert me hiding my face in shame).

I am crossing my fingers that I didn't overlook something dumb this time. The email from Ellora's Cave suggests a 2 day to 3 week window for initial response, so I should know soon enough.

In the next few days, I hope to submit to two more publishers: Red Sage and Carina Press. I haven't abandoned the idea of getting an agent. I've made a list and I'm keeping it on standby. But, having published work could help me get an agent, so I think I'm going to hold back and see if the digital publishers bite. In the meantime, I'll focus on Dreams Awake.

Speaking of...my target length for Dreams Awake is 20k. I started it with the plan writing 80 to 100k, which is my comfort zone. But the story wants a much quicker pace than I usually work with. The action of the story jumps from a bad day into a worse nightmare and back again. Even 60k would be a stretch, unless I used stream of consciousness, which I won't. I am comfortable calling myself a writer, but James Joyce I am not. However...20k would be a challenge for me. It'll be the first short story I've attempted in 16 years.

1 comment: